Thursday, July 1, 2010

Workout Recap 6-29-10 through 7-1-10 and the importance of recovery

Distance: .33 miles (about six city blocks)
Warmup: Thinking about it for a few hours while my partner and I shivered on the couch together
Running Time: No actual running, but I did break a sweat by the time I'd finished block one.
Cool Down: One day
Water Breaks: none
Most Valuable Song: None. There was no joy in this.

I went on vacation last week to sunny San Diego to visit friends and relatives and I was so excited to take my training on the road. I was really looking forward to running in a totally new place, perhaps with an exciting trail recommended to me by the clerk at the hotel. Actually what happened is that I got a horrible stomach bug on day 2/3 and spent the next few days feeling awful. I wanted to go running when I first got sick, because I only felt a bit crampy and overtired but I resisted the impulse and instead rested up. I can only thank my lucky stars that I did, because even with that precaution I've been laid up for the last two days feeling miserable and awful. The closest thing I got to a workout was my trip to the grocery store to get drugs, ginger ale, and canned soup for myself and my partner. It was the least I could do after infecting him while he was taking care of me. As things stand I'm hoping to feel well enough tomorrow or the next day to take an extremely easy run and get back into things. The moral of the story is that when you are sick, you should rest, and then you will feel better faster and be healthier in the long run.

At least that's the plan. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment